Winter is a time for hunkering down in the warm embrace of your home, cooking deliciously comforting food and putting your feet up. If you are like us you occasoinally enjoy the ‘putting your feet up’ part a bit more than the cooking part and that’s ok! If that’s the case then you need a slow cooker in your kitchen arsenal.
The Sage Risotto Plus is one of the most versatile slow cookers around, its a rice, stir free risotto and slow cooker in one – the Sage Risotto Plus is an advanced multi-cooker that can make tender slow cooked meals like stews, stir-free risotto, fluffy rice and quinoa all in the same cooking bowl!
The Sage Risotto Plus cooks delicious risottos by agitating the rice grains with bubbles to release the starch and create a creamy texture, yummy homemade risotto, without even stirring.
Why not try this mellow and warming spicy mixed dhal recipe this weekend and put your feet up!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4cm piece ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 small red chillies, chopped
- ½ cup yellow split peas
- ½ cup red lentils
- ½ cup brown lentils
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
Plain thick yoghurt to serve
1. Press the SAUTÉ|SEAR button and then the START|CANCEL button. Heat removable cooking bowl for 3 minutes with the lid on.
2. Add oil and heat for 1 minute.
3. Add mustard seeds and cook until they start to pop. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook 5–6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is light golden.
4. Stir in spices, chilli, lentils, stock and tomatoes. Cover with lid.
5. Press the SLOW COOK HIGH BUTTON and then the START|CANCEL button. Cook for 3–4 hours or select SLOW COOK LOW setting and cook for 4–6 hours.
6. Season with salt and stir through lemon juice and chopped coriander.
Serve with yoghurt.